Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Haley's First Day of School


Haley likes to be distinctive so it is only fitting that she be fashionably late to Middle School :)

So really she has had pneumonia and missed the first 2-1/2 weeks of 6th grade. She hasn't been happy about having to start school late because it's her first year at middle school and she doesn't really like to be that distinctive. Like most 11-year-olds, she'd have preferred to start this new venture the same day all of her friends did.

We tried to help her see the bright side of this whole experience...then we realized that there isn't much of a bright side so we had to get creative. We figured everybody at school would want to sit by the girl who flew on a special jet with a pediatric pulmonary team to Seattle. She'll probably have instant middle school popularity while everyone gets in line to hear her exciting story! So she's got that going for her.

I added "No PE" as a bright side, but Haley loves sports so that wasn't as much of a plus for her as it would have been for me. Would have been a big plus for me.

In the end, she went to school this morning feeling pretty nervous. Amber was in protective-big-sister mode, which was great. She gave Haley numerous middle school pep talks this morning. And when we pulled up to the school there was a big group of Haley's friends waiting for her on the curb. They all squealed when they saw our car and ran over to hug her and say hello. I don't think I even got a "Goodbye Mom" out of her she was so overwhelmed with her reception committee!

She's hoping to make it all day, but still gets fatigued pretty easily so she'll just play it by ear. And in the meantime, I am home alone all day long with just Jacob. I wanted very much to put an exclamation point or two after that sentence, but I feel too guilty about how excited I am to just have one child home all day long so I left it a simple period. Don't be fooled. This is awesome.

6 comments:

Misty said...

Go Haley! We're happy you're up and around again. And Amy ... how lucky for both you and Jacob to have one-on-one time. Granted, Paige is only in preschool but I still love having Elle to myself for awhile.

Rita said...

Yay, Haley!! I'm sure it was a relief to see her friends ready and waiting. I'm glad she's feeling recovered enough to brave Middle School.

Enjoy your sweet little Jacob. Getting old isn't all that bad, huh?!

Jim said...

Haley, we are so happy that you are getting better. Going back to school is a big deal. Keep up the good work and we hope to see you very soon.

Kristen said...

She looks darling. What a cute girl. Glad she's out and about.

samwise_2 said...

Yay! It's so good to hear that Haley is feeling better!

Kadie said...

Poor Haley! I can't believe everything that she's been through this last year. I am so glad that she has recovered from pneumonia now! How scary that must have been for you Amy!