Friday, April 11, 2008

My Whole Life Stinks

Danny has pneumonia and has been stuck in the house (more or less) for almost 2 weeks. Those of you who are moms realize that this means I have been stuck in the house (more or less) for 2 weeks also. He's been pretty miserable and so he's had a few more outbursts than what we would normally expect from him. We've had to be extra patient.

A few days ago he wanted ice cream for a snack. I told him that ice cream isn't a healthy snack, but that I would make him some cheese and crackers. When I called the boys to the kitchen for their snacks Danny took one look at it and got very angry (if he were a cartoon he'd have had steam coming out of his ears) and said, "YOUR SNACKS STINK!" I chuckled to myself, but just ignored it (see 'trying to be patient with his outbursts' above) Having not gotten the reaction he was looking for he next yelled, "IN FACT, YOUR WHOLE LIFE STINKS!" This time I couldn't help laughing out loud (especially considering I've been pent up with sick kids for days and days - my whole life does kind of stink right now!) I calmly told him he needed to go up to his room for a time out because he was talking to his mother rudely. He said, "Okay" in a sad voice and left the kitchen. Then he poked his head around the corner and sweet as pie asked, "Can I take my snack with me?"

I'm hoping he'll be well again soon. Today he got mad at me about something and said, "Mom, you're wrecking my whole life!"

5 comments:

Misty said...

That is classic. I believe it was Paige who said, "You're ruining my life!" I love the lasting impact we're having on our children. :)

Jim said...

From "cool Mom" to "your whole life stinks" in such a short time.

Kadie said...

I think I would have burst out laughing too. "Kids say the darndest things"!

Jamie and Mike said...

That is so hilarious! It'll be fun to read that one years from now.

Kelly said...

Thanks for the laugh out loud moment. I've had a few of those precious words come from Emmy (9). Last night, after a bit of family drama, she left a note on my door that said "I hope we can be a family again tomorrow". She knows how to pull the heart strings!