Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Sincerest Form of Flattery Gone Awry

My sister, Lisa, got married a few months back. Once the truly important details were established (the choosing of the groom, the scheduling of the temple, etc.) she began to focus on the details of the event. She had very definite ideas about what she wanted - the dress, the reception venue, the invitations, her shoes, hair...etc. She put months of blood, sweat and tears into planning her wedding (maybe the blood is an exaggeration, but the sweat and tears are definitely not) She even designed her own dress and had a seamstress she found online custom make it for her.

Unfortunately for Lisa, she has a problem with following the pack. While it's great that she is creative and original, it does make life harder at times that she can't allow herself to take the easy route and do what other people are doing. She likes to be her own person, unique, a free thinker. This is sometimes taken to the extreme, in my opinion. For instance, she wouldn't see the movie Titanic in it's hey day because everybody was seeing it. If something is "the thing to do" you can bet that Lisa is not doing it. In fact, she's probably purposely doing the opposite of it. I like to tease her about this from time to time, so it will come as no surprise that her current situation is cracking me up.

Lisa, Lee, and their wedding photographer all put pictures of the wedding on their blogs. In the last few weeks the happy couple, the wedding dress and various wedding photos have been popping up all over the blogosphere with people adoring everything about the wedding and desperate to know, "Where can I get that dress?", "Who did your hair?", "Where was the reception?"...etc. It seems that everyone wants a Lisa/Lee wedding and, while flattering at first, the idea of everyone having a Lisa/Lee wedding is Lisa's worst nightmare! I am getting panic-stricken calls and emails from her on a daily basis - am I a mean sister that this is so funny to me?!

Here are the blogs they've been featured on so far (that I know about). If you're bored and have the time, read through peoples' comments and think of my sister cringing as she reads them!

Here, here, here, here, and here.

Below are a couple of my favorite pictures of the trend-setting couple themselves...just so you can see what all the fuss is about.



By the way, I know exactly who can make that dress for you, exactly where the reception was held, exactly who did her hair...even her nails! And for the right price, you too can have this sought after information ;) Sorry, Lis. I have 5 kids and there is a recession on. Priorities.

10 comments:

lisa said...

Amy, there is nothing funny about it. If people copy my dress, I will make sure to sabotage their wedding!

Jim said...

As Lisa's father, I have to admit that I find this development hilarious. On the other hand, I am disappointed that there appears to be no way for her to profit financially from it all. Can someone think of a way?

Kristen said...

She does look gorgeous. That dress is amazing and the shoes are perfect. I LOVE her hair too! I can see why people are making such a fuss.

Yes, you are right Amy. It is quite funny.

Rita said...

HA HA HA. Loved this post! Honestly, who can blame those poor, desperate people. Lisa looks amazing (in the genes, I suspect :)) and the pictures are beautiful.

Chelsea said...

What Lisa needs to do is go into wedding dress design! She may not even need to do the actual sewing...just the design. Those people can then take the design that they paid Lisa for and have it made. She has great taste, I think she would do really well. She looked AMAZING on her big day.

Chelsea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Love, love the pics!

Erin Blake said...

I have already copied it and it is being sewn right now. Because of that dress, Brett and I have decided to renew our vows in an artsy warehouse kind of place. We'll probably rent a photo booth and have a big candy jar.

samwise_2 said...

Okay, I swear I'm not trying to be a brat, but I have always planned on designing my own dress. It won't look anything like Lisa's though...no worries! Also, I swear I have those shoes, but in silver, and obviously Lisa's are cooler because they are a much awesomer color! I can see Lisa's point of view though, I totally hate it when people have the same clothes/accessories/whatever as me.

LordStanley said...

Selling sister's secrets = college fund for kids.