Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

We had a great Thanksgiving holiday up in Canada! Yes, Canadian Thanksgiving is in October, but Nana Barb cooked us up a fantastic turkey dinner for American Thanksgiving (thank you, Nana!) Here are a few of the week's highlights:

1. First off HAS to be that Brad's alumni basketball team won the entire tournament this year AND Brad, himself, came away unscathed! His only injury this year (aside from total-body-soreness) was a bloody nose!
Yay Brad!

2. We had a great time with family. We loved spending time with Nana Barb, Papa Brent, Auntie Carolyn, Uncle Tylor, Halle, Maddie and Alaina! The kids played so well together and were all very well behaved. The house was decorated up for Christmas, which was so fun and festive.



3. Canadian junk food rules. Seriously. It's the best. We had many Slurpees (they're WAY better up there), bought our year supply of Canadian candy and had our fair share of oddly-flavored Canadian potato chips (Szechwan flavored was a new one...then the usual Dill Pickle, Ketchup, etc.)



4. We had a fun afternoon at Waterton National Park and learned that it's gorgeous in the winter, too! We especially enjoyed playing on the new playground!


5. The travel to and fro was relatively easy this year - the roads were great up and back. Our only snag was that Danny decided to break the Nielson family record for 'Number Of Times Vomited In The Car On A Single Road Trip' (6 times on the way home!) Kudos to Amber who sat next to him 1/2 the way (I finally traded places with her after vomit #3) and helped him very lovingly - what a nice sister!

All in all, a GREAT week and a very fun time! So much to be thankful for this, and every, Thanksgiving. We feel very blessed as a family.

6 comments:

Rita said...

Great recap of your fun weekend. Sounds like you like to do the exact things that I do when I'm 'home'. I'm so glad Brad and the old guys played well and sad I missed it!

Hopefully Danny is feeling better. I think it would take 6 rounds of barfing for me to lose the weight I gain from slurpies, chips, and chocolate up there in ONE day!

Kristen said...

Yea! Amy is back in the blogging world! :) I've missed you (remember, I check everyday...my life is pathetic I know) Glad you had a fun Thanksgiving and that Brad is still intact. Poor Danny. You're such a good mom to not take pictures and make him pose for a blog post. :) My mouth was watering when I saw the pictures of the Canadian treats. We picked up the same box of candybars this summer. I LOVE Old Dutch Ketchup chips.

Jamie and Mike said...

What a fun trip and beautiful pictures!

Chelsea said...

I love love love the Canadian Coffee Crisps. I pray they don't have coffee in them but I think they actually do. I have never really looked so I don't really know. I choose not to know. But they are delicious for sure. Mom loves them as well. Yuummmmm.

Amy and Brad said...

They are great, Chels. I agree. And I highly recommend you do not look at the list of ingredients. Ignorance is bliss :)

Sarah Ruth Ritchie said...

I am glad that you all had a good time- aside from all of the vomiting. That first picture is absolutely beautiful by the way!