Saturday, November 1, 2008

Question Of The Day

HALLOWEEN CANDY: FREE-FOR-ALL OR REGULATED?

At the Williams house growing up our Halloween candy was ours - we could eat it all in two hours if we wanted or we could save it and just eat a little each day. I loved that approach and always thought I'd do the same with my kids. Turns out, I just can't 'let go' to that degree! The repercussions of letting our kids eat candy hand over fist for a few days are my major deterrent (Danny alone would be unbearable!) But I have to say that it would be nice to just get it over and done with rather than have plastic buckets of candy hanging around the house for weeks. So, tell us how you handle Halloween candy at your house...I think I may be ready to revisit our current policies.

7 comments:

Jim said...

Don't know if anyone noticed but there was a news story this week indicating that recent dental research supports the "eating all the candy now" routine because it does less damage to the teeth. However, nutritionists are apparently not in agreement that this is the best way to go.

Chelsea said...

So in our house we let the kids pick a few favorite pieces...the good stuff. Then after that we pay them for the candy and then with that money they get to go to the store and purchase something fun instead of being on a sugar high until the end of time and all the candy is gone. We ended up with a ton of candy this year and there is no way I will keep my patience will last for the next month.

Chelsea said...

I messed up my last sentence...what I meant was..."keep my patience and last for the next month". Sorry.

Rita said...

Bedtime, mealtime, candy consumption...everything's a free-for-all at our house. Who let it get out of hand like this???

Misty said...

I've done both ... let them gorge for a couple of days and bought it from them. This year, I'm letting them have it for a few days and then it will start mysteriously disappearing ... right into the garbage. Because, hey, I'm as bad as my kids when it comes to candy consumption!

Kristen said...

This is a tough question. We usually let them enjoy it, unregulated, for a couple of days and then we put it up in the cupboard and they can have it occassionally. The beauty of the "cupboard method" is that they eventually forget about it and then it gets chucked. I'm like Misty - I'm as bad as the kids!

Kelly said...

We usually do the buy-back policy, because my kids are suckers for money more than they are for suckers!