Thursday, September 25, 2008

Middle School Drama

We are on the roller coaster ride that is middle school - Amber is in 8th grade and Haley is in 6th. I've had the opportunity to relive this stage of life vicariously a bit as they come home with their struggles and triumphs and I have decided that I could not be PAID to go back to my middle school years! Seriously. No amount whatsoever.

Amber's BFF moved away over the summer and she is really grieving that now that school has begun. I feel so bad for her.

Haley had been enjoying middle school...emphasis on 'had been'. Today they had their pictures taken for their student ID cards and - horror of horrors - her bra strap was showing in her picture. Oh, the mortification! She came home completely distraught at having been mocked all day long. And to add insult to injury, the first reaction of each of her parents upon hearing of her humiliation was to chuckle! Bad form, I know.

It's hard enough to have to go through the drastic ups and downs of these years personally...but I am finding that it's equally painful (if not moreso!) to have to watch your child go through them. One day they are on cloud nine and the next day they are miserable. If I'm ever in charge I'm going to have kids skip from age 10 to 16 and bypass it altogether! Although, I have to admit that some of my funniest memories as a child are from those awkward years...but they aren't funny until about 10 years have passed. And now that I think about it, they're all funny at MY expense!

6 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm with ya on skipping the whole preteen/teenage years. They can be so tough and MY insecurities during those years was over the top. It's hard to not get in there and fight their battles for them, huh? I sometimes think I ask WAY too many questions when Kennedy gets home each day. I just want to check in and make sure everything is going OK but I have to watch myself or she'll stop talking altogether. Your girls are lucky because they have good parents who have their priorities straight and have the faith and knowledge that you guys have. We love you!

Rita said...

Amen. Ditto. Me too.
I taught Home Ec. in middle school for three years and did my Psych. internship at a middle school. They are places of emotional, if not physical torture. Now I have Todd to deal with. He's grade 6 at an Elementary school but I feel like his attitude and emotions are totally middle-school-girlish some days! He's a good kid and talks to me a surprising amount considering he's a cool boy and I'm just his lame, embarrassing mom but this roller-coaster ride is had to stomach! I'm holding on for dear life (and sanity)!

Sarah W. said...

I LOVE junior high! Actually I can really only stand the gangster boys, girl drama is just too much for me! But, if we skipped the junior high years I would be out of a job! :)

Misty said...

Oh my goodness, I'm having heart palpitations just reading that. My better years definitely came in college. I wasn't near as concerned about what everyone else thought of me. Erin's son is so able to laugh at himself so everyone else laughs with him. My kids don't quite have that talent down yet...

Kadie said...

Oh my goodness, I totally agree. I hated middle school!

Carlo said...

Like I need to hear that with 3 girls still having to survive the drama!!!!! Ican'thearyouIcan'thearyouIcan't hearyou!!!!!!!! (My fingers are in my ears and my eyes are shut too!)